Monday, August 23, 2010

All grown up!

Well not really.  My oldest son started his first day of kindergarden today.  Everyone told me this would be an emotional day and they were right!  Last year he went to VPK, but it was only for 3 hours a day.  Plus, my mother taught at his school.  This year he is at a new school and will be there all day.  I am not as sad about him being gone all day as I am about him growing up so fast!  It really seems like just yesterday he was a helpless little baby.  He is so excited and eager to start school.  I really hope that this attitude carries through his whole school career.  Husband and I have really tried to instill in him that as long as he does well in school, he can be anything when he grows up.  Hopefully making a lot of money so he can care for us when we are old... been slacking on that whole retirement plan thing..  (kidding!  kind of...)  We had this conversation again this morning and he said he wants to be a firefighter.  Not exactly what I had in mind.

-Small Vent-  Since I am such a huge worry-wart  we drove him to school today.  Even though it is only about a 5 minute drive we left 30 minutes early to get there.  Good thing, traffic was such a cluster-fuck (oh yeah I have a potty mouth too) we were late getting him into his classroom.  I guess the school building is kind of old so there is absolutely no parking.  Cars were parked on the side of the road from about a mile away.  Plus, there were 2 traffic cops who didn't seem to know what they were doing except for getting in the way and needlessly blocking traffic.  So far this is my only complaint about the school.  We will be pretty lucky if that is the only one.  Assuming that in  a few days the traffic problem should clear up as more kids take the bus and just get dropped off at the front door.

Also, I kind of feel like a big slacking Bad Mom for not trying to get him into a magnet school or one of the VERY popular montessori schools in town.  It seems like everyone is sending their kids to montessori schools.  I really didn't want to deal with the enrollment process and wait lists.  Not to mention a long drive or long bus ride.  His school is an "A-rated" school and very close.  And he only has 16 kids in his class.  Not bad for public school.  So, I don't feel too bad I guess.  I am very glad we chose not to do a religous school again (that is a topic for a whole other blog post though).

My nest isn't totally empty, at least my 3-year old is still home with me for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, now we can be BFFs!!